Elise is a new member of the broken bone club! Sunday night she broke her left wrist and has a nifty cast on her arm to prove it.
Sunday night we were getting ready for bed and Elise had finished brushing her teeth and ran into her room to get in bed. We have wood floors and she had a baby doll blanket on her floor and when she ran in, she hit that blanket and it FLEW out from under her. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her land on her hand. She cried and cried, but it didn't look bad and wasn't swelling. I was worried it was broken, but it didn't seem to be. I gave her Tylenol and wrapped it in an Ace. In the morning, it didn't look any different (fine) but she said it hurt. Conversely, she was playing as normal and rough-housing with JJ and not acting as if it hurt. I decided to take her in to the Dr.'s office because Jonathan and I are leaving on Thursday for San Francisco and I thought I'd rather deal with it Monday than Thursday! We had to wait for 2 hours in the waiting room and toward the end of the wait, Elise still wasn't acting as though it hurt and I kept asking her, thinking I just wanted to go home. Well, it's a good thing we waited because the first thing they did was take and x-ray and sure enough, she has a green stick (torus) fracture. Elise was so brave and stood still for the x-ray, answered all of the nurse's and doctor's questions, and held still when they were casting her arm. She is very shy around strangers still, so that was a feat for her. Elise is a very matter-of-fact little girl and having a cast on hasn't phased her. She still does almost everything for herself, like getting dressed, eating and playing just as crazy as before. She had a bath last night and she was very careful to keep her arm hanging out of the tub.
Mom and Dad and JJ signed her cast, which she liked. Then yesterday morning I came downstairs and JJ and Elise had found a marker and Elise had JJ write HER name on her cast. She though her name ought to be on it! Then JJ had drawn a big circle with a smiley face, and a "train," which was a huge blue blob on her cast. Oh, well. She liked it:) Her cast goes from just below her elbow to her hand, with a loop around her thumb. It is 6 inches long. And now "fiberglass" is her new favorite word that keeps popping up everywhere.
I guess this runs in the family. I (Megan) broke my wrist when I was 1, after falling off a couch. Jonathan broke his wrist when he was 5. I'm not sure how. It was one of his many injuries and accidents as a small child! So let's just hope JJ breaks the chain.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment