Today JJ had his first Suzuki violin lesson with Mrs. Gontea. He was waaaay excited. Which I was glad for, because a few weeks ago JJ told me he didn't need lessons because he already knew how to play the violin. I had to explain to him that there are lots of things about the violin that he doesn't know yet. I guess to his ear his "sawing away" sounds quite musical:)
JJ learned the three stances for playing, how to bow (JJ's version looked like bowing gone hyper - updownupdownupdown), and how to hold the violin. He learned how to tighten and slacken his bow, but wasn't allowed to use it yet. He also learned 3 rhythms that he has to practice clapping, tapping, and plucking on the violin - mississippi-hot-dog, strawberry-blueberry, and peanut-butter-peanut-butter. This is a lot for Mom to remember!!! But JJ can't wait to practice, so I think it will be lots of fun for him. That's why we're starting him so young (a Suzuki method idea) so that it is fun and they learn so quick when they are young that when they are older it comes naturally. This is the same way that Jonathan and his brothers learned and it seems a good fit for JJ, too. And he looked so cute standing so straight with that little violin tucked under his chin!
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment